Q: Who uses McGlynn’s services?


A: McGlynn provides supported accommodation for under 65 year olds with physical disabilities. This may be short- or long-term residential, respite, rehabilitation or privately-arranged accommodation.


Q: Where are the houses?


A: There are houses in Oamaru, Dunedin, Mosgiel and Invercargill.  There is also the McGlynn Centre in Dunedin, which focuses on respite and rehabilitation accommodation.

See our locations page for further details.


Q: How many people live in each house?


A: There are up to six people in each McGlynn house, with support workers on site 24 hours per day. The support worker does not live or sleep in the house – they are simply “about”, should they be required.


Q: Who makes the decisions in the houses?


A: The residents are responsible for making decisions relating to the running of their households. This includes buying groceries, putting the rubbish out, taking care of the garden – all the responsibilities and decisions that come with household living.


Q: How much does it cost?


A: Staying in a McGlynn house is generally fully or partially subsidised, through various government agencies. The funding scenario is different, depending on the prospective resident’s circumstances. The best approach is to contact us and we can explain where to begin.


Q: What is the process for being accepted into a McGlynn house?


A: First of all, you need to be assessed by Access Ability (Needs Assessment and Service Coordination, NASC) or ACC to determine your exact needs and your funding options. If you are a “match” for McGlynn, you will be put in touch with us directly and we will talk you through the process. Essentially, you choose a preferred house and can meet the existing residents. If successful, you sign a flatting agreement, which outlines you responsibilities and the terms of the accommodation.


Q: I’d like to look at a house. Can this be arranged?


A: Absolutely. If you are considering short- or long-term accommodation, you will obviously look over the specific house you are applying to. However, even before that stage, we encourage people to make an appointment for a visit – just to get a sense of whether the McGlynn approach is right for them. We also encourage families who may need respite care in the future to make contact and arrange a visit.


Q: How long do people stay in a house?


A: For as long as they need to.


Q: What other support and information can I access?


A: There are many sources of good information. These include:

WEKA is a website focused on providing advice for disabled people, their families, whanau, caregivers and health professionals.
Visit the Weka Website 

CCS Disability Action provides support and strengthens communities, so people with disabilities are included in family and community life.
Visit the CSS Disability Action Website


The Disability Information Service provides free disability and health-related information to the Otago region, including listing accessible accommodation, eateries, shops and other services.
Visit the Disability Information Service Website

MARC (Mosgiel Abilities Resource Centre) is a not-for-profit community organisation that provides a wide variety of health and disability sector related services.

Access Ability is also known as the Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) team. They make a formal recommendation around a person’s specific needs and funding options.
Visit the Access Ability Website

Depending on an individual’s circumstances, government support – through the Ministry of Health, Southern District Health Board, Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) or Work and Income New Zealand (WINZ) – should be available.
Visit the ACC Website

Visit the Ministry of Health Website

Visit the WINZ Website